CONSOLIDATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES – SUPPORT TO THE MINISTRY OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS, ALBANIAN STATE POLICE AND PROSECUTION OFFICES (PAMECA V)
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FOR ONE DEVELOPMENT EXPERT
Ref: PAMECA V – DE/002-09/2017
PAMECA V is an EU funded technical assistance project. The project’s specific objective is to further improve the capacity and coordination mechanisms of Ministry of Internal Affairs, Albanian State Police, prosecutor offices and other relevant agencies/institutions to address challenges in the fight against organised crime, terrorism, money laundering, public safety, as well as improving institutional monitoring of high level cases. The main beneficiaries of PAMECA V are Albanian Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA), Albanian State Police (ASP) and General Prosecution Office (GPO) and their relevant structures.
PAMECA V will provide assistance to the main beneficiaries in the areas of serious and organised crime, anti-corruption and financial investigations, counter-terrorism, integrated border management (IBM), strategic planning, structure, organization, human resources, logistics, budgeting and information and communication technology (ICT) so that they can increase their capacities and enhance their performance in line with EU requirements and best EU practices. Special attention will also paid in improving their cooperation and coordination mechanisms in the fight against crime.
PAMECA V is interested to recruit one development expert to support Albanian strategy and action plan against cannabis cultivation and trafficking 2017-2020. The expert deployment will commence indicatively in October 2017 for a three week mission in Tirana, Albania. Interested parties who meet with the criteria set out at 3. The experts profile and duration may send the CV in Europass format via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the expression of interest in the subject line and include your contact details (telephone number and email address) on your CV.
The closing date for the acceptance of expressions of interest is Sunday 8th October 2017 at 24.00 hrs (Tirana time).
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The aim of the expert missions is to support the Albanian Central Task Force (CTF) to develop the strategy and action plan against cannabis cultivation and trafficking 2017-2020. The strategy and action plan aim to provide a concerted response against cannabis cultivation, and prevent cannabis cultivation and trafficking through a combination of measures, including law enforcement, financial, and economic ones. Through this holistic approach, the government now looks at drug cultivation as a problem of poverty, lack of development and opportunities, education and professional training, in addition to a problem of policing and corruption.
The specific objectives are:
- Review the current strategy and action plan, including support to drafting a budget linked to measures of the action plan.
- Assess the ASP approach in the fight against cannabis cultivation and trafficking
- Provide policy advice and possible solutions to the CTF on preventing and fighting cannabis cultivation and trafficking
- Give recommendations on drafting a holistic document which links policy priorities to activities and budget.
- Main areas to be assessed
- Identification of the strategy and action plan’s gaps in general (format and content, including money laundering , asset seizure and confiscation)
- Assessment of the Albanian State Police approach in the fight against cannabis cultivation and trafficking: measures to foster the identification of criminal gangs behind drug cultivation and trafficking, and efficient judicial follow-up in criminal proceedings
- Analysis and study of cannabis cultivation and trafficking (from production to selling) including all stages, such as illegal importing of seeds, distribution/selling of seeds, seedling, cultivation, trafficking of cannabis, organised crime networks, financial gains and money laundering
- Analysis to compare size and weight of cannabis flower and types of cannabis from a region to another (ASP should be able to provide a comprehensive report in addition to information on number of plants of cannabis)
- Assessment of:
- key priorities and deliverables
- timelines and impact indicators
- matching priorities to activities and budget
- budgeting, funding, and human resources
- accountability, monitoring and reporting
- Analysis of role of all national institutions and services involved
- Assessment of intra and inter service cooperation (cooperation between institutions involved), division of tasks and responsibilities, information sharing and exchange
- Assessment of cooperation with international partners
- Analysis of international funding
- Assessment of measures to foster the identification of criminal gangs behind drug cultivation and trafficking, and efficient judicial follow-up in criminal proceedings.
- Experts Profile and Duration
A three week mission for one Development Expert.
Start: Indicatively October 2017.
Qualification and skill:
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Fluency in English (both written and oral)
- Experience of working in multinational contexts
- Advanced computer literacy
Specific professional experience for one Development Expert
- Practical experience in designing and implementing rural/socio-economic/local development projects in countries/areas producing cannabis
- Experience in countries which are producers of cannabis
- Experience in drafting of action plans/strategies including budget on drug eradication strategy
General organisational aspects
The Albanian authorities will provide the experts, in time, with all documents, translated in EN, necessary to carry out the mission. Preferably, information can be exchanged through correspondence. The Albanian authorities, in cooperation with the EU Delegation will suggest a programme of meetings, based on the usual practice for such missions, such that the experts have access to all information necessary for his/her task.