CONSOLIDATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES – SUPPORT TO THE MINISTRY OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS, ALBANIAN STATE POLICE AND PROSECUTION OFFICES (PAMECA V)
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR ONE INTERNATIONAL LONG TERM EXPERT
Ref: PAMECA V – HR LTE/001-09/2017
PAMECA V is an EU funded technical assistance project. The project’s specific objective is to further improve the capacity and coordination mechanisms of Ministry of Internal Affairs, Albanian State Police, prosecutor offices and other relevant agencies/institutions to address challenges in the fight against organised crime, terrorism, money laundering, public safety, as well as improving institutional monitoring of high level cases. The main beneficiaries of PAMECA V are Albanian Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA), Albanian State Police (ASP) and General Prosecution Office (GPO) and their relevant structures.
PAMECA V will provide assistance to the main beneficiaries in the areas of serious and organised crime, anti-corruption and financial investigations, counter-terrorism, integrated border management (IBM), strategic planning, structure, organization, human resources, logistics, budgeting and information and communication technology (ICT) so that they can increase their capacities and enhance their performance in line with EU requirements and best EU practices. Special attention will also paid in improving their cooperation and coordination mechanisms in the fight against crime.
The expert will work in Tirana, Albania on the project’s offices located at the beneficiary’s premises. The mission to be performed is of 33 months duration commencing 20th November 2017. The position foresees a paid annual leave of one calendar month. The gross salary per working month shall be € 7500 plus a living allowance of € 2000.
INTERNATIONAL LONG TERM EXPERT ON HUMAN RESOURCES
The long term expert on human and technical resources will advise, assist and mentor Ministry of Internal Affairs and Albanian State Police on respective strategic and operational management of their human and technical resources and the functions necessary for such effective management. The expert will support project beneficiaries on respective restructuring and reforming processes.
The expert will be responsible for leading the technical assistance to the MIA and especially ASP in their efforts to enhance the ASP functioning to be able to plan and manage its human, financial and technical resources. The expert will provide advice and support to the Department of Support Services of the Albanian State Police on the strategic and operational management of police human resources. He/she will assist in improving the cooperation and coordination amongst the ASP structures general directorates of the ASP to develop the concept of ‘self-development’ and the link between career development and training in the ASP based on a new performance appraisal process. In addition he/she will be responsible for proving advisory support on relevant labour legislation, developing and implementing policies on a variety of workplace issues, such as recruitment, training, career development, performance management, compensation and benefits, disciplinary and grievance issues, redundancies etc. The activities and task include, but are not limited to the following:
- Support ASP human resources management structure and management capacity of project beneficiaries;
- Support ASP to clearly develop and implement recruitment criteria, career, evaluation mechanism, merit-based promotion and disciplinary proceedings in the ASP legislation and Police Regulation and policies;
- Support to implement internal control standards in prosecutor offices;
- Support ASP Directorate of Professional Standards to adopt and implement the draft manual on performance evaluation of state police employees;
- Mentor project beneficiaries to put in place procedures for developing and implementing fair and transparent system of human resource management based on clear criteria;
- Support project beneficiaries by delivering basic trainings on professional development, performance appraisal, promotion and discipline;
- Advice and mentor the Support the Directorate of Professional Standards to monitor ASP performance and to deal with non-criminal discipline cases;
- Support ASP to promote and appoint female police personnel in middle and high rank managerial positions by increasing their skills and capacities further through respective trainings;
- Mentor to improve the functioning of the Albanian State Police which is able to plan and manage its human, financial and technical resources;
- Support to improve cooperation and coordination amongst the ASP general directorates;
- Advisory support to improve concept of ‘self-development’ and the link between career development and training in the ASP based on a new performance appraisal process;
- Assist to improve human resources management in transfers of personnel based on competencies, close consultation, service and role criteria for deployment;
- Support the capacity of the bodies involved in the HR in the implementation of indicators of activity and indicators of efficiency in order to achieve concrete goals;
- Develop and maintain close links and excellent working relations with Albanian counterparts and with experts of other EU funded projects in Albania in the sector of police reform, to ensure the maximum coordination and dissemination of information;
- Manage respective work plan- related aspects of the project on a day-to-day basis;
- Co-ordinate relevant project activities and ensure the preparation of periodic thematic progress reports for the European Union Delegation, the Albanian Authorities and/or for the Steering Committee;
- Prepare training course modules, study visits and delivers selected training modules;
- Perform other work related duties as required
- EU citizen;
- University degree in the relevant field;
- Relevant professional experience at a supervisory level is highly desirable;
- Proven experience in law enforcement, security and safety matters, in an EU Member State, possibly in public sector in a civilian or police environment;
- Have excellent knowledge of European standards and best practices in the area;
- Experience of drafting orders, working procedures and standard operating procedures;
- Experience in operating effective performance management frameworks and inspecting the performance of police operations;
- Sound managerial and coordination skills;
- Sound partnership skills and ability to engage with other projects and stakeholders effectively that contribute to traffic safety;
- Ability to identify and analyse emerging problems and propose solutions;
- Excellent interpersonal and good communication skills, reporting and analysis capacity and drive for results are essential;
- Adequate ability to communicate solutions to problems in different work environments, and provide advice on day-to-day questions from the final beneficiaries;
- Experience in training and mentoring law enforcement staff;
- Very good command of written and spoken English and computer literate;
- Proven commitment to diversity, equality and capable to work within a multidisciplinary team;
- Knowledge of the logistical and IT framework to support police activities;
- Previous working experience in EU funded or in international projects is an asset.
Application and Selection Procedure
If you are interested in applying for this post, please send your CV in Europass format and motivation letter in English via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the job title that you are applying for and include your contact details (telephone number and email address) on your CV.
The closing date for the receipt of applications is Friday 20th October 2017 at 17.00 hrs (Tirana time).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by Friday 27th October 2017. The selected LTE shall be proposed by the Team Leader and approved by the Delegation of European Union to Albania, assuming no objection from the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Albanian State Police.
The selection procedure which consists of an interview to be held via phone or skype shall be based on the respective CV, professional background, relevant work experience and language skills, according to the required qualifications.